Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find answers to many frequently asked questions from prospective and current students.

Prospective Students

How does online learning work?  Do you have set class times? 

Online Learning is flexible-paced, independent online learning.  Students can work around their busy schedules to complete their course work.  There are no set traditional class times. Our style of learning is perfect for those with work, family, or school obligations, and for those who need flexibility.

When your registration is complete, you will be given a username and password for our online learning platform, Brightspace.  Once you receive your username and password, you may log in and begin working on your course right away!

How do I register for an Online Course with New West Online Learning?

Registration details can be found on our registration page.

Can I come into the school to register in person?

Our registration is online only.

Which courses do you offer?

Please see our course offerings page for a list of available courses.

How many courses can I take?

Students can register for up to two courses at a time, adding additional courses as they complete.

I don’t see the course I need in your course offerings.  Where else can I take it?

If we do not currently offer the course you are looking for, please visit Online Learning BC, which is a directory of all provincial online schools in BC.  You can search for a school by course.

Who is eligible to take courses with New West Online Learning?

Any person who has ordinarily residency in BC and is a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or holds a work permit (valid for for one year or more) can take courses with us.  Most courses are free.

International students who live in BC and hold a valid student or visitor visa (valid for one year or more) can take courses with us for a cost.

Persons living outside of BC are not eligible to take courses with us.

I don’t live in New West.  Can I still take courses with you?

Yes.  Students who ordinarily reside in BC can take our online courses.

How much are tuition fees?

Graduated students:  Most of our courses are free of charge (funded by The Ministry of Education) for students who have graduated high school.  For a list of tuition-free courses for high school graduates, please visit the gov.bc website.  Courses not on this list are $375 for graduated students.

Non-graduated students:  For students still working towards their high school diploma, all our courses are free of charge (funded by The Ministry of Education).

International students (must live in BC and hold a valid student or visitor visa):  $1,175.00 per course.

Do I need to provide copies of my ID?

High School Students:  No ID is needed.  Your home school will have already collected the required ID and will be asked to sign your registration form stating that they have all necessary documentation on file.

Adults or youth who no longer attend high school:  In order for The Ministry of Education to fund your course, we are required to collect copies of residency and status ID.  Please visit the registration page for a list of documentation requirements.

International students: Valid student or visitor visa (valid for one year or more), passport, and BC address ID are required.

How long does it take for my registration to be processed?

While we strive to process registrations in a timely manner, it may take up to one week for us to process your registration.  To avoid delays with your registration, please be sure to read all registration steps carefully and include all required documentation.  Incomplete registrations will not be processed. Please do not email your registration package more than once.

It’s been over a week since I emailed in my registration and I haven’t heard back. 

Please check your junk/spam mailboxes.  If you have not received anything after one week, please contact our office.

How long does it take to complete a course?

Our courses follow the BC Ministry of Education curriculum and are designed to be completed within 100-120 hours.  If you work on your course for 10 hours a week, you can complete in 10-12 weeks.  Well-prepared students have completed courses in as little as 100 hours or even more quickly, especially if they have taken the course before.

Does my course have any prerequisites?

Please see the course outline for any prerequisites.

Our courses are best suited for students who have a facility with the English language. Students still learning English are encouraged to enroll in a classroom-based course.

Do I need to come into your school to write tests?

Most tests are online.  Some courses have required supervised tests.  Please view the course outline on our website for details specific to your course.

Do I need a computer to take an online course?  Can I use my smartphone?

To take part in an online course, you will need a desktop computer or laptop.  You should have:

For Windows: A Pentium 4 with a 1 GHz or better and Windows XP or better. ADSL or Cable connection is required.

For Macintosh: You should have an iMac, iBook, MacBook, MacBook Pro with 1 GHz or better and OS X 10.5.or better. You must have an ADSL or Cable connection.

You will not be able to take courses on your smartphone.

I don’t have a computer.  Do you have a computer lab I can work from?  Can I borrow a device from you?

Unfortunately, we do not have a student lab at this time.*  We do not have technology on loan.

*NWSS students may work from room 3039.

Do I need a textbook?

Our courses do not require textbooks; however, some courses do have a supplemental workbook.

In-district students can pick up a student workbook for loan from room 3039 at NWSS.  In-district students can purchase workbooks from our office if they would like a copy to keep.

Adult or out-of-district students can purchase workbooks at our office or they can be ordered through Amazon.  Workbooks are $30 each. We accept cash, credit, or debit.

Can you tell me which courses I need for my post-secondary program?

We recommend speaking with an academic advisor at your post-secondary school to ensure you enroll into the correct prerequisites.

I don’t know which courses I need to graduate.  Can you help?

Yes.  We can take a look at your transcript and help you come up with a graduation plan.

I don’t have my transcript.  Can you look it up?

Yes.  If you went to high school in British Columbia, we will be able to look up your transcript with The Ministry of Education. We will need your Personal Education Number (PEN).  If you do not know your PEN, we may be able to retrieve it for you from the Ministry of Education.

How can I complete high school if I have not completed any courses in grades 10, 11 or 12?

You will be scheduled to write an in-person assessment and our academic advisor will go over your previous learning and work experience and will recommend a path towards graduation.  This may include taking upgrading courses before starting grade 11 and 12 courses.

I didn’t go to school in Canada.  Will I need an assessment?

Yes.  Students with no prior academic history in Canada will be required to write an English and math assessment.  Our assessments are in person.

I attended a school in another province in Canada. Can I get credit for those courses?

Yes, you can get credit for courses taken at the secondary level elsewhere in Canada as long as the courses are similar to those offered by the BC Ministry of Education. To find out if your courses qualify, you will need to provide a copy of your transcript to our academic advisor.

What’s the difference between the Adult Dogwood and the Regular 80 Credit Dogwood?

All post-secondary institutions (colleges and universities) in B.C. accept both the Adult Dogwood and 80-Credit Dogwood as completion of Grade 12 graduation in British Columbia.

The Adult Dogwood requires the completion of FIVE 4-credit courses, while the 80-Credit Dogwood is usually completed by students under 19 years of age and requires completion of at least 20 courses (which is 80 credits).

The Adult Dogwood may be all that you need to apply to a community college or other post-secondary institutions. Check with the college or post-secondary program you plan to apply to in order to find out what prerequisite courses are required. You may have to take specific courses as part of your graduation program in order to successfully meet the entrance requirements for your post-secondary program.

Current Students

I need help in my course.  How do I contact my teacher?

Student support is available by email, video conferencing or in-person.  Please see your course homepage for your teacher’s availability.  The office cannot provide course-specific student support.

How do I add a course?

Students are permitted to take up to two courses at a time, with the option to add additional courses as they complete.  Please visit our registration page for instructions on how to add an additional course.

I am retaking a course for a better grade.  Will my Ministry of Education transcript still show my old grade?

Your transcript will only show your highest mark.  If you retake a course and receive a better grade, the better grade will overwrite your old grade on your Ministry of Education Transcript.  If your mark does not improve, it will remain as is.

I did not pass my course.  Will this be reflected on my Ministry of Education Transcript?

No.  Only successful completions will show on your Ministry of Education Transcript.

How do I withdraw from my course?

Please follow the withdrawal instructions on our withdrawals page.

I have finished my course.  Now what?

Your teacher will assign a final mark, which you will be able to access on your course page.  Please allow your teacher up to 5 business days to mark your assignments and issue your final grade.

We submit course marks to the Ministry of Education every Friday (excluding school closures – for example, our school is closed during Spring Break, Winter Break, and parts of the summer) and your Official Transcript of Grades is generally updated within 2-3 business days.

If you currently attend high school, your home school will submit your completions to The Ministry of Education.

How do I obtain my Ministry of Education Transcript or send my transcript to my post-secondary school?

Former and current students can set up a BCeID account to order their transcript directly from the BC Ministry of Education via their Student Transcripts Service.  Follow the instructions on their website .  You will need to know your PEN (Personal Education Number).

You may find these video links helpful in setting up your BCeID account and ordering transcripts:

Creating your BCeID account

Sending your transcript to post-secondary schools

Ordering a transcript for yourself or an employer

I have completed my graduation requirements with New Westminster Online Learning.  When will I get my diploma?

Once you have completed your courses for graduation with us, your diploma will be mailed to us within 2 months.  You will receive an email when your diploma is ready for pickup at our office.

If you are on The Adult Graduation Program and think you have reached your graduation requirements, please send us an email to verify.

I still have questions.

Please contact us if you have further questions.  We will be happy to assist you.